I met Gail and Dave at Patagonia and we were off for an adventure in Ojai. I had driven through Ojai in the past and Joe had taken me there for a smoothie once, but this ride took me through the outback trails of Ojai. It was a beautiful day as we rode through the woods and made our way to downtown Ojai. Gail wanted to stop at a couple of stores. It was a quaint little Main Street with creameries, boutiques, and candy shops. It was the 4th of July, so we caught a glimpse of a parade with a few cars and trucks. It was a much smaller version of what they usually put on for the townsfolk, but COVID-19 has had an impact on everything. We then made our way up the hill to the Summit. I had no idea, how steep and how long the uphill was going to be. At first, I was able to hold my own, but with the heat and lack of food, it really started to get to me. Gail told me it was a 6-mile trek to the restaurant, but after a couple of miles she told me it was another 8 miles. I didn’t think I was going to make it. Dave and Gail passed me by and I had to make several stops before I caught up with them at the top of the hill. We took a couple of pictures and then we headed for some shade where we could pause and have some snacks. I was wiped out. I felt like the time I went horseback riding and I hadn’t eaten any breakfast and as soon as I put my helmet on, I passed out. It was that same feeling, but I didn’t pass out. I usually don’t eat breakfast in the morning because I am leaving so early. Once I had some fuel in my body I was able to continue on. The road ahead was much easier and we finally made it to the Summit. It was a busy little out-of-the-way eatery, yet many people somehow found their way there. It was outdoor dining only, but we sat at tables with umbrellas.

I really enjoy the comradery of cycling. It is great to cycle with a group, but it is also great to stop and chat and get to know each other.

Once we finished out lunch, we were back in the saddle and heading toward Ventura. It was a hot day and originally, we were going to go back to Patagonia to make it a 50-mile trek, but due to the heat we stopped at Gail’s house and called it a day. We did a little over 40 miles. Gail drove Dave and me back to our cars and Patagonia and then we drove back to Gail’s to pick up our bikes. On the way we decided to ride again tomorrow. I had never ridden two days in a row, but they say it’s good training. We decided to go one of my favorite routes: Ventura to Bates.